The primary objective is to provide safe, loving homes to local HIV/AIDS orphans by ensuring each child in the community has a primary caregiver, a suitable dwelling, nutritious food, education, access to health care and counselling. In the course of pursuing these goals Hope Farm facilitates:
Caregivers Support: provides access to social services, skills training and practical assistance. Provides industrial sewing machines and automatic knitting machines for caregivers to learn a skill and when proficient to earn an income.
Dwellings: repairs badly damaged homes and builds new houses as needed, providing cement, roofing and wood to caregivers, and/or arranging for volunteers to assist with labour as caregivers are often old and unable to build themselves.
Food: distributes food packages weekly to caregivers who feed many orphan children.
Education: pays school fees for a number of orphans and partnered in 2009 with World Changers Academy to present a successful life skills program.
Health: promotes mental and physical health of all families by providing access to health facilities. Caregivers and children are referred to appropriate centres for counselling and advice.
HOW WE HELPED THIS PROJECT
- Made regular monthly and annual grants since 2006 to help develop the farm to take better care of orphans.
- Donated funds to extend electric fencing on the farm for grazing, bees and vegetable production.
- Funded the construction of a tented camp and furniture for income generation from tourism.
- Supplied a scoot (type of wheelchair) for the one year old adopted orphan.
- Donated “school in a box” to assist with home schooling of orphans.